Sunday 8 November 2015

Why I wear the poppy

Every country that has ever fought a war needs a regular reminder of the cost of war.

Every country that has never fought a war needs a regular reminder of the cost of war. 

It is right to remember those who died fighting for their country in wars that needed to be fought, where some essential point of justice, of saving lives, of protecting the world, was at issue. 

It is right to remember those who died fighting for their country in wars that did not need to be fought, wars that were misconceived, foolish and only damaging.

Those who were maimed in body or mind fighting in wars on behalf of their fellow countrymen should have the support and help of their country, both where the conflicts that brought them injury were wisely entered upon, or a foolish disaster. 

Those who have lost their mates, their comrades in arms, while fighting for their country, should feel the solidarity and support of their countrymen in that loss, even when we question the justice or wisdom of the conflicts into which they were sent. 

I do not wear the poppy because I think my country always gets it right. I do not wear the poppy because I hate any other country. I wear the poppy as much with horror and shame as with pride, but wanting to say to those who have gone into situations where I have never gone, wearing uniforms and bearing arms and firing ammunition that my taxes have paid for, "Now you are back you are not unthought of or uncared for."

If the poppy is finally subsumed by the "my country, right or wrong" brigade, the "we hate Moslems" brigade, the "darkies/pakis/refugees/cockroaches go home" brigade or even simply the "if you don't wear a poppy you're not a patriot" brigade, I will no longer wear it. But for the moment, it is for remembrance. And it is worn with conscious gratitude to servicemen and women, some of whom fought on my behalf in conflicts that I believe we had no business to enter and where, tragically, our involvement was stupid from the very start. 




No comments:

Post a Comment